West Virginians have been tweeting, posting and sharing why they think West Virginia is #AlmostHeaven in a social media campaign launched June 6th by the West Virginia Division of Tourism. Just in the first week, the campaign reach topped five million on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
“We are so excited at the momentum behind this campaign. I encourage everyone to keep the posts coming,” said Tourism Commissioner Chelsea Ruby. “Have fun with it, and most importantly, don’t forget to nominate a friend to take the Almost Heaven challenge too. We want the world to know what makes West Virginia a world-class travel and tourism destination, and we’re off to a great start!”
The Division of Tourism will give away two #AlmostHeaven vacation packages every day until the campaign’s conclusion on West Virginia Day, June 20th. To participate, share a photo or post about your favorite West Virginia place or activity to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #AlmostHeaven.
Winners will be selected randomly through a hashtag search. Participants must make posts public to be entered to win.
The Division continues to add prize packages every day. Campaign giveaways to date include the following:
- Getaway and gourmet breakfast at Café Cimino Country Inn
- Golf getaway at Pipestem Resort State Park
- Whitewater rafting trip with River Expeditions
- Golf getaway at Twin Falls Resort State Park
- Golf getaway at Cacapon Resort State Park
- Historic Elkins getaway with scenic train ride and show
- Cacapon Resort State Park getaway with complimentary massage at nearby Berkeley Springs State Park
- Summersville getaway including tokens for the historic lighthouse
- North Bend State Park getaway including passes for the park’s adventure Quest Program
- Chief Logan Lodge getaway
- Morgantown getaway with tickets to the West Virginia Black Bears game
- Camping getaway at Beech Fork State Park
- Cabin retreat at Watoga State Park
- Adventures on the Gorge ziplining or whitewater rafting
- Blackwater Falls State Park getaway
- Cabin retreat at Lost River State Park
- Two-night stay at North Bend with tickets on the historic Blennerhassett Sternwheeler
- New River Gorge getaway including two nights lodging at Opossum Creek Retreat
- Cabin retreat at Tygart Lake State Park
- Two-night cabin stay at Holly River State Park
- Two-night stay and train tickets at Cass Scenic Railroad State Park
- One-night bed and breakfast stay at Stonewall Resort
“Thanks to this grassroots movement, we are multiplying the effectiveness of our paid advertising and showing the world that West Virginia truly is a world-class tourism destination,” Commissioner Ruby concluded.
This campaign is all about “sharing the love” – your love for West Virginia. Enter your comments and photos today! Time still remains to become one of the lucky winners of a vacation package to enjoy a free getaway to one of West Virginia’s many spectacular locales. The WV Department of Tourism encourages residents to continue to post on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter their reasons why the Mountain State is such an amazing place to live and travel; use the hashtag #AlmostHeaven. The campaign concludes on June 20th.