Recently, Walmart launched its “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign, a nationwide initiative calling on the public to take action in the fight against hunger.
The Feeding America nationwide network of 200 food banks, of which Mountaineer Food Bank is a member, stands to benefit from the campaign goal to secure at least 100 million meals for Feeding America food banks across the country.
“We appreciate Walmart’s ongoing commitment to fighting hunger and are thrilled that Walmart is asking the public to get involved and make a difference in their local communities through the ‘Fight Hunger. Spark Change.’ campaign,” said Chad Morrison, executive director of Mountaineer Food Bank. “This campaign will significantly boost our collective ability to raise awareness about the issue of hunger in America, allowing us to secure more local funds and ultimately provide food to more people in need in the state. We hope people in West Virginia will, once again, take action and participate in the campaign.”
Working with customers, Discover and five of its national suppliers – Campbell Soup Company, General Mills, Kellogg Company, the Kraft Heinz Company and PepsiCo – Walmart is offering three easy ways for everyone to take action against hunger and help families in their own communities through social, online and in-store participation. There are three ways to help.
- Purchase: For every participating product purchased at U.S. Walmart stores from April 17 – May 15, 2017, the supplier will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) on behalf of a Feeding America member food bank, up to applicable limits. For every Discover card transaction made at Walmart and Walmart.com during the campaign period, Discover will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) to Feeding America and its network of member food banks, up to $1 million. See Walmart.com/fighthunger for further details.
- Online Acts of Support: Generate meals for Feeding America food banks by engaging with the Fight Hunger. Spark Change. campaign on social media:
- Facebook – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or react positively to campaign content; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
- Instagram – Create or share content using the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; like or share Walmart generated campaign content.
- Snapchat – Use Walmart provided “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” filters.
- Twitter – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or make a campaign tweet a favorite; retweet a message featuring the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
For each online act of support, Walmart will help secure 10 meals (an equivalent of $0.90) for Feeding America on behalf of member food banks, up to $1.5 million.
- Donate at the Register: Donate to a Feeding America member food bank at the register during checkout.
With the USDA reporting that one in eight people in America struggle with hunger, the “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign comes at a critical time. West Virginia suffers from a food insecurity rate of 15.3%, meaning many people may not know where they will find their next meal.
“This campaign is an important part of our ongoing commitment to helping families who struggle with hunger,” said Kathleen McLaughlin, president of the Walmart Foundation and chief sustainability officer for Walmart. “Together with suppliers, customers and friends at Feeding America, we’re dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of those who live and work in the communities we serve.”
This is Walmart’s 11th year working with Feeding America nationally to fight hunger and the 4th annual “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign. Last year, Mountaineer Food Bank benefited from $100,000 dollars from Walmart’s campaign to fight hunger which helped feed 1,100,000 West Virginians.
To learn more about the campaign, visit www.walmart.com/fighthunger.
Mountaineer Food Bank is a 501(c)(3) non-profit hunger relief organization that serves 48 counties in West Virginia. Our network consists of over 600 feeding programs including soup kitchens, food pantries, shelters, senior programs and Backpack Program. To learn more about Mountaineer Food Bank and how to help solve hunger in your community, visit our website at www.mountaineerfoodbank.org.