By Jill Fratto
When it comes to our day-to-day lives,, many of us try to fit as much in as we can and often we feel upset when things don’t work out the way we planned. When we learn to trust the flow of time, we can let go of beating ourselves up when life doesn’t work out exactly the way we thought it would. The universe is governed by laws and forces that are beyond our control, yet within our grasp. When we learn to stop trying to control and instead go with the flow of the universe, things seem to fall into place exactly as they should. Let me give you some examples of ways that we try to control or get upset with time:
- When we are going through something difficult, we ask “Why us? Why now?”
- When a much anticipated event gets unexpectedly canceled, we feel cheated, angry, or bitter.
- When someone in front of us is driving very slowly, we feel frustrated and blame them for our negative feelings.
- When we don’t have the energy we think we should, to do a certain task – exactly when we want to do it, we feel like something is wrong with us.
- When we can’t meet a goal or accomplish something (large or small), in the time we think it should take, we feel like we aren’t enough.
Do any of these sound familiar? Trying to force things to happen on our timeline almost always results in frustration. Even worse, when those feelings of frustration lead to thoughts that we aren’t doing enough or aren’t good enough, those thoughts can lead to depression and anxiety. Instead of trying to force outcomes, change the way you view these situations. You can do this by reminding yourself that there is a time for every season. The words below come from philosopher, Loa Tzu.
“As in the nature of things,
there is a time for being ahead
and a time for being behind;
a time for ease
and a time for strain;
a time to be hard
and a time to be soft;
a time to grow in strength
and a time to decay.
The Sage therefore
avoid excess, extravagance and extremes.”
– Lao Tzu Tao Te Ching 29
Remember that whatever you are going through, it won’t last forever. The time for this will pass (this too shall) and the next season will arrive. Until it does, give yourself grace and allow the energy of the universe to flow through you.